Dancing in the schools

Visual and Performing Arts Academy dancers share their love for dance

Desi Spratling, Managing Editor

For some, dance is a means of self expression, for others it is a way to clear the mind and relieve daily stresses. Most of our Visual and Performing Arts Academy (VPAA) dancers have been involved in dance in some way or another since the time they could walk and the activity has played a major role in shaping them as young adults. 

“Dance is important to me because it has allowed me to express how I feel through art,” said senior Sara Bobulinski. “My life has never been perfect, and with that there have been times when I go to dance to just allow myself to let everything out. I’ve been dancing since I was three and I don’t know where I’d be without it.”

This year, VPAA dancers have two opportunities to share their passion for dance with the younger generation. 

One opportunity is the senior assignment. For the senior assignment, dancers do an internship or job shadow and one of the most popular options is going to an elementary school and teaching a dance or movement class to show how dance can be incorporated in school. 

Seven of the VPAA dancers are taking their time and their talents to local elementary schools and informing young students about the Visual and Performing Arts Academy and the power of dance. 

The other opportunity is senior production. This year, rather than choreographing and performing their own pieces seniors are creating and teaching dances to Old Donation School (ODS) students. Those students will perform in an evening show on May 8th at ODS. 

“Each senior sem student has been assigned a specific group of ODS students and twice a month we go over there and teach them,” said Bobulinksi.

Each dancer hopes to leave a positive impression of how dance can improve quality of life.

“I hope we leave a message that you can express yourself in whatever way you want,” said senior Brittany Smaltz. “No matter what you’re going through, there is always a creative outlet that could help you out during those tough times.”