Salute to VHSL Spring Sports seniors

The season may not have been what we hoped, but seniors still deserve some recognition!

Asha Cooper, Assistant Editor in Chief

The spring season surely wasn’t what we were hoping it was going to be, especially for seniors, so let’s take a moment to salute those students and what their sport has meant to them.

The following seniors responded to the SunDevil Times survey. 

Boy’s Soccer

Michael Gvozdevskiy 

Making varsity is my greatest memory. I’ve gained knowledge, athleticism, and discipline. It’s made me a better athlete and a better person. It’s taught me how to be a team player, a leader, and to never give up. 

Mario Miller

My greatest memory was when we all worked together on certain plays to become stronger as a team. Collaborate with my teammates and it has taught me that there is no I in TEAM. 

Ethan Raynaud

I’ll never forget playing with my boys every single day. Soccer has taught me time management skills, how to be a leader, and has physically and mentally toughened me.

Softball 

Iyana Calvin

From Coach Tabora: My favorite memory with Iyana is when she found out she made Varsity softball. Iyana has been working hard since a freshman and out worked most of the girls on the varsity team. She made Varsity as a senior and she realized that all of her hard work paid off. Iyana’s humor made the varsity team a very positive group. If they was just an ounce of tension, Iyana broke it and put a smile on everyone’s face! She is such a positive person all around and could tell it spread outside of softball!

Nevaeh Gipson

From Coach Tabora: My favorite memory of Nevaeh was her junior year tryout. Neveah was on JV for 2 years and when she came out to tryouts the 3rd year she was a whole different player! At the end of her sophomore year she asked me what she needed to do to make the varsity team. I told her some things to work on over the summer and she came back and surprised me in the best way! I knew on day 1 of tryouts she was on Varsity. Nevaeh is one of the most dedicated and determined players on Salem softball. She will do anything and everything she puts her mind to!

Aria Segers

From Coach Tabora: One of my favorite memories of Aria when she told me if she hit a home run her parents would get her a car. The next at bat Aria hit a home run and just stared at her dad the whole way around the bases! Aria is definitely a go getter and will succeed in anything she puts her mind to. Aria was one of our softball captains this year and I know she would have done great things for this team if we were able to compete. Aria has committed to Virginia State. 

Shakirra Williams 

From Coach Tabora: One of my favorite memories of Shakirra is when she was having a streak of bad luck at the plate. She had the skills but just wasn’t making contact. One game the bases were loaded and Shakirra was up. She was walking to the plate and I could tell by the look on her face she was nervous. I called timeout and had Shakirra and come talk to me. I reminded her that she has all the talent that she needed and she just needed to believe in herself. So took the plate with confidence and ended up hitting a single to score 2 runs! The look on her face was priceless and just like that the streak ended. Shakirra was one of the most dedicated  athletes that I have had on Salem Softball. She would ask almost everyday to stay back and give her just a couple more swings or a couple more ground balls. She is such a dedicated player and will always give 100% in what she believes in. 

Track  

Aaron Arganda

One of the best moments of being on track was finishing a race. On the last lap, I was able to hear the cheering of my friends and teammates. Even though I wasn’t facing them, their cheers were so loud it gave me a boost and I was able to finish the race strong. I have gained knowledge, physical improvements, and friends. Track changed me because it pushed me to my limits and showed the potential of how fast I can run. Track has taught me the importance of practice because the practice of running over time again and again really does result in your best performance.

Zoe Phan

At regionals I threw the discus 100 feet which would be my PR but it was during warmups and didn’t get counted, but I was happy to know that I could do it. I learned to improve independently without any real coach to teach technique, I worked with my teammates to get better and we all became closer. I’m planning on trying out for the women throwers’ team at VCU. 

Elena Larcombe 

My favorite track memory was when I was doing a workout on the track and I wasn’t paying attention and I ran straight into the bench on the side of the track. Ever since participating in track I have grown closer with my friends and I have become a lot happier and healthier. Track has taught me how to be accountable and persevere even if things are tough. I will be running cross country and track with Bridgewater College for the next four years.