Animal Crossing: New Horizons

How a new game release spreads positivity during difficult times

Stephen Sandusky, Staff Writer

Video games allow people to step into a realm separate from reality. From the thrill and excitement of an action-adventure game, to the incomparable realism of a life simulation, a good game can serve as an excellent distraction from the challenges of the real world.

With the increasing anxiety brought by the coronavirus, new release Animal Crossing: New Horizons has been an entertaining way to reduce some stress for players. The game has quickly become the newest fad.

“It relieves a ton of stress by letting me take care of simple tasks rather than real life frustrations,” said freshman Jaiden Rice. “Playing the game helps me forget about my real problems and I can solve little problems like picking up leaves on a virtual island.”

In New Horizons, there are no bosses or challenging levels to make the game difficult. It is solely the player and their chosen island, where their only task is to fill the needs of their human-like animal residents while also attempting to help create a flourishing and beautiful village.

“[Animal Crossing] is so fun!” said sophomore Maisy Phillips. “I’ve been playing it every day because it’s so adorable and has all these features that keep it interesting.”

The game series has gained a lot of attention and garnered a large fanbase over the years, but this release was especially popular because of the positivity that it spreads during these trying times.

New Horizons even has a multiplayer setting, allowing the player to connect with friends and family by visiting their towns and having fun together without having to be in the same room.

Timing is everything and for many people in quarantine, the release of Animal Crossing: New Horizons has brought them happiness, peace of mind, and closeness with their loved ones in a time of stress and discomfort.