Should I check WebMD?

Online medical advice is unreliable in most cases

WebMD

Lily Brown, Copy Editor

Whenever something feels off or you feel a little funny do you go to the one place that holds the all knowing information: the internet?  The article Stop Asking Dr. Google for Advice by Arun Swamintha cites that “over 90 percent of patients searched the internet for information.”

Have a strange cough- look it up, have a new sense of pain- Google it, have a random skin spot- wikipedia; nearly everyone is guilty of it.  While some argue that medical websites are insightful and helpful, they should not replace a doctor’s diagnosis. 

“I have gone online before to check for symptoms and it has often led me to WebMD,” said senior Abigail Conant. “It usually isn’t accurate, so I’m not sure if I can trust it.”

Medical websites tend to get patients to overthink their ailments which can lead to panic and self-diagnosing every ache and pain. This can lead to anxiety which is bad for your health and can lead to even more problems. 

At the same time, medical websites aren’t all bad. They can help patients feel more in control and knowledgeable. They help people explain to doctors what they think is wrong with them and give them a sense of what to ask about in an appointment. 

“I looked on Google to find out if there were similarities between my symptoms and others,” said junior Ethan Kroener. “It gave me a better understanding because I realized I was wrong.”

Also, you don’t always need a doctor to tell you that you have a cold or that you sprained your ankle. The resources online help patients determine whether they need to actually visit a doctor or not. 

“Whenever something is wrong, I Google the symptoms to see what it could be,” said sophomore Anya Kohler. “I’m just trying to understand what was wrong.” 

Online resources can be beneficial when used properly, however it should not be the only advice a person takes. These resources aren’t always reliable and any serious illness, physical or mental, should be treated by a professional.