Getting to know Congresswoman Elaine Luria

Representative Elaine Luria answers questions from students

Erica Munisar, Staff Writer

United States Congresswoman Elaine Luria serves the second district of Virginia; however, despite the many jobs that she must do as a government official, she is still a real person just like us. The goal of this interview was to get to know Representative Luria beyond her political persona.

A Google Form was sent to all social studies teachers encouraging students to submit questions for our public officials. The SunDevil Times poured through the submissions and selected what we felt were the top questions for the “collective interview.”

Every question has the name of the student who asked it above, and Representative Luria’s answer below.

Thank you for your time Representative Luria!

On May 21, Representative Elaine Luria visits a Virginia elementary school for story time. (Elaine Luria Facebook)

Senior Erica Munisar asks…I participate in high school debate and I have always wondered how government officials prepare for their debates. Do you still get nervous? If so, how do you overcome those jitters?

“I like to be prepared in everything I do, whether it’s standing on the floor of the House of Representatives, questioning military leadership in committee hearings on their plans to withdraw troops from Afghanistan, or meeting with a local business about their grant application. Of course, everyone gets nervous sometimes, but it’s important to remember that you are working on behalf of your constituents. It’s not about me, it’s about my district and the people I was elected to serve.”  

Senior Erica Munisar asks…“What advice do you have for young women who look up to you, that may want to be in government or politics one day?

You can do anything you set your mind to, honor the women who helped you get to where you are today, and never settle.”

Since an early age, I knew I wanted to be part of something larger than myself and serve the country that has given so much to my family.

— Congresswoman Elaine Luria

Senior Erica Munisar asks…“We want to know more about you as a person outside you the politician. What are your hobbies? Do you have a favorite food? Favorite TV show or movie?

“My hobbies include cooking, home remodeling, and woodworking. My favorite food is sushi. I really enjoyed the mini-series ‘The Winds of War’ and ‘War and Remembrance.’ I’m also a big fan of ‘Downton Abbey.’”

Teacher Cindy Kube asks…“What inspired you to become a Naval officer?

“Since an early age, I knew I wanted to be part of something larger than myself and serve the country that has given so much to my family. At the age of seventeen, I enrolled in the U.S. Naval Academy and went on to pursue a Bachelor of Science in physics and history. After graduating, I embarked on a 20-year career in the Navy, in which I earned the rank of Commander. During my time in the Navy, I became one of the first women to enter the Navy’s nuclear program and one of the first to serve the entirety of my career aboard combatant ships.

I went on to serve as the commanding officer of a combat-ready unit of 400 sailors at Assault Unit Two in nearby Joint Base Little Creek.”

Senior Adriel Tabilin asks…”Why did you enter public service?” 

“Toward the end of my tenure in the Navy, I established a family business in Norfolk and Virginia Beach. As a small business owner, I learned about the responsibilities of managing employees, payroll, and having a presence in the community. This venture got me more connected with the local small business community, and I began to think of ways I could continue to serve our country and community. And when I watched the country grow more divided, more partisan, I knew my experience could help bridge the divide and bring people together to solve problems.”

Senior Anna Watson asks…Specific to Virginia Beach, what are the biggest things you’re advocating for?

“I believe our military must have the resources and the technology necessary to keep our nation safe in the face of new and emerging threats across the globe. I want our veterans, many of whom live in our community, to have access to the health care and benefits they’ve earned serving our country. Our coastal communities are at risk because of climate change, so it’s important that we strengthen our infrastructure to protect against flooding and other extreme weather events. I also want Virginia to be a leader in clean technology like offshore wind.”  

Sophomore Anya Kohler asks…“What is it like having a personal life with the job you have, do you have time for yourself and family?”

“Time is a limited resource, but you can make time for anything you want to prioritize. Spending time with my family is important to me, so I make sure that I can participate in important family events, pick up my daughter from school, and enjoy the time I have with my parents when we can see each other.”

Junior Cailee Nichols asks…“What have you struggled with the most in your career?”

“I think all women who enter into fields typically dominated by men feel a unique pressure. I’m no stranger to this and I hope I can be an example for other women so that they don’t have to experience the same difficulties women of my generation endured. In 1970, women made up one percent of the armed forces and today that’s closer to 20 percent and growing. But the military has a long way to go. Women account for only 18 percent of commissioned officers. The same can be said for elected office. When I was my daughter’s age there were only 24 women in Congress. Now there are 127.”

Junior Julian Sagayno asks…“What is your favorite thing about your job?”

“Seeing and hearing from young people like you.”

My family and I love visiting the boardwalk and maybe stopping to get ice cream at Lolly’s.

— Congresswoman Elaine Luria

Freshman Mackenna Wyckoff asks…“How can a high schooler such as myself get involved in politics?”

“I think the first step for every young person is to find your passion. What motivates you? Whether that’s through your school, your faith, your family, or your local community — figure out what issue makes you want to be part of something greater than yourself. Spend some time researching every point of view and figure out the best way to get involved. Don’t be afraid to roll up your sleeves or ask questions along the way. After that, my advice is to be resilient. You will face setbacks and make mistakes. Learn from them and grow.”

Junior Natasinh Phath asks…“What is your favorite thing to do around Virginia Beach?”

“My family and I love visiting the boardwalk and maybe stopping to get ice cream at Lolly’s. It’s hard to go wrong with all the wonderful restaurants in the area.”  

Junior Natasinh Phath asks…“How do you destress after work?”

“As a Navy veteran, any day I can be on the water is a good day. We have a new puppy in our house named Leo so we’ve been having a lot of fun with him. I also try to spend as much time with my daughter before she becomes a teenager and is too cool to hang out with us.” 

Junior Ava Slutsky asks…“What would you say has been one of the toughest decisions you’ve had to make this past year due to Covid-19?”

“As a mother, we always worry about our children. The pandemic created an additional layer of worry for many of us because there was so much uncertainty. That was a challenging time for our family, but we feel like there’s light at the end of the tunnel. I would be remiss if I didn’t take this opportunity to remind young people that the COVID-19 vaccines available to you are safe and effective. Even if you think that you won’t get sick because you’re young, getting vaccinated contributes to the overall health of the community. The more people who are vaccinated, the less places the virus has to go, which stops the spread and prevents new variants from emerging.”

We are so grateful for Elaine Luria for giving us a glimpse into what it is like to be a Congresswoman as well as who she is as a person.

The SunDevil Times has reached out to a number of government officials. You can read our interview with VBCPS School Board Chair Carolyn Rye here, and Mayor Bobby Dyer here. Check back for more articles like this soon.